Monday, October 11, 2004

Productivity

Being unemployed for the past few weeks, I’ve had a lot of time to myself, alone at home with the ability to do just about anything I could want – I had a car and everything in the apartment at my disposable. So you would think I could get so much done: write a book, read a series of books, clean the apartment from top to bottom, run errands I usually put off, cook scrumptious meals for Jason when he returns from work, etc.

But why is it that the more time you have on your hands, the less urgent it becomes to do something productive with it? It seems that I am the type of person – or maybe everyone is this way, as a part of human nature – who needs to keep busy and have a tight schedule on a fairly regular basis (I do need SOME downtime) in order to get the little, important things done. Subconsciously, I must see it as a challenge to try and squeeze cleaning the house in between work, supper, and youth group. Why is this? Or am I the only person who feels this way? It’s a good thing to be able to still be productive in domestic areas while keeping busy in other areas of my life, but it’s not good when I DO have so much precious time on my hands and all I can do is watch the Game Show Network (“no whammies, no whammies, no whammies … STOP!”) or sleep until 9 and then surf the web.

This is not at all what I’m used to, so maybe my disciplined nature inside is rebelling at the first opportunity it’s had at just being lazy and not under pressure. But I will have to whip back into shape as soon as I have a job, and I’d rather do so beforehand so that I can actually write a significant amount or read a book on the shelf that I’ve been meaning to read while I still have the time!

I just got back from a job interview, but I'm not too excited about it. In fact, I'm really hoping I get another interview somewhere else before I have to make a decision on this one, since I don't really seem to want it. The job duties are much too industry-specific for me (engineering/surveying terms, tasks, forms, etc). That's not an industry I care to spend time learning about as heavily as they'd seem to want me to. I did, however, make a good impression with them, so if I get called for a second interview I don't know what I'll say. I do want to start making money soon, but not if a specific job is going to make me dread going into work each morning. The people were nice, the company successful ... but the job duties just not down my alley. Or is it "up my alley"? Regardless ... I'm not feeling great about it.

Ok, I'm going to go run some errands ... right after an episode of "The Match Game" :)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home