Tuesday, October 11, 2005

Change of scene

Living "at home" when you're an independent, married adult takes some getting used to. Not so much getting used to having my mom around, because she's great and we're getting along just fine. But the adjustment is felt more so in the duties I have to do around the house. The last time I lived here, after all, I was in college and/or not yet married. My mom did my laundry, I ate whatever she made for my dad and me on any given evening, and we all watched TV together at night unless one of us had somewhere else to be. I would offer to do the dishes or make dessert on occasion, and we took turns using the one computer we had for our family.

Now, I'm finding it strange to go about my business in my mom's kitchen as if it were my own, using her pots and dishes to make a meal, doing laundry in her basement -- I still find myself reaching for quarters as I do so, good ol' apartment living :) -- and just in general, doing everyday tasks to fit in with the way things are established in her household. I couldn't ask for a better situation given our circumstances, but it's just different being an independently functioning person under another's roof. And yes, I know it's sad that I didn't do my own laundry when I was 21 and living at home. Shut up.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home