Thursday, December 07, 2006

Taste

It's amazing how essential the sense of taste/smell is to the enjoyment of life. I've had a cold for over a week now (I don't know why I can't get over it - it's really annoying) ... but only recently have I lost the ability to taste my food. So there was cake at work today and I took a piece - loaded with frosting, just like I like it ... and lo and behold, I had to imagine what it tastes like. What fun is consuming calories if you can't even taste them?! It makes me appreciate that I normally have all five functioning senses. And it makes me realize that perhaps I put a little too much value on food in my life ...

Quick story about that ... when my dad had cancer and couldn't stomach much food, my sister and I wanted to do something for him to cheer him up. But all the ideas we came up with revolved around food! Taking him out to eat, baking him cookies, buying him his favorite snacks. We did finally create a memory book for him, but man oh man it was hard to find non-food-related pick-me-ups!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home