Thursday, January 19, 2006

Big head

I admit it. I was so proud of myself at work today that my head started to get big. Lately I've been feeling more valued than just an administrative peon and I have moments where I can actually see myself desiring advancement in the corporate world. This was one of those moments ...

My supervisor and I (who, btw, I trained before leaving the company my first time around) took it upon ourselves to improve the flowchart for a long-term team project we are part of because we all thought the setup of the chart was confusing. We changed the basic flowchart to a "deployment" flowchart and made all sorts of improvements using Visio - even though neither of us had ever used this program before. Boy did we learn quickly! I was so proud of what we accomplished. Besides teaching ourselves to be quite competent with a new program, rarely in my job do I get to see a project from inception to completion - usually my position is just one piece of a bigger puzzle - and this was a chance to do that on a VERY small scale. Now it's just a matter of presenting the changes to our boss (the author of the original document), who was out of the office these past two days. Will she embrace our innovation, or see it as an undermining of authority? Only time will tell ...

But if the outcome is not good, I think my head will shrivel back to its pea-sized state.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home