Wednesday, January 11, 2006

Pros and Cons of Corporate

My job feels a lot different than when I worked at the same company pre-California. I think it has a lot to do with the fact that the previously privately-owned company was bought by a very large, international, publicly traded company. I never would have guessed that the atmosphere would change so much as a result of something like that. After all, the actual details of my position are still the same, and even most of my coworkers are the same as when I used to work there. But I've inadvertently gotten into conversations with others at work about this recently, and they have echoed my feelings that things just seem different since the takeover. Some changes are obvious - lots of people are leaving the company for one reason or another and our company name has changed. But others are more subtle ...

PROS:
-Better benefits all around
-Awesome 401K package
-New and improved paid time off schedule
-More advancement opportunities

CONS:
-Some positions are being eliminated
-Performance Evaluations suddenly mean something, and goals need to be achievable and followed up from year to year. I know this should go without saying, but believe me - often evaluations are just a formality. This focus on achieving goals is a good thing, but I'm putting it as a "con" because it kind of scares me!

NOT REALLY SURE HOW I VIEW THIS ISSUE YET:
-When it was a private local company, I felt very comfortable in my position. I knew I wasn't going anywhere anytime soon (i.e. job security +, but also not many opportunities for advancement-). Now, on the other hand, there are tons of new departments and locations to which I could transfer if I wanted. Corporate focuses so much on job advancement and metrics and making a contribution that I feel like I'm being viewed in a different way than before. This can be good and bad ... Here's an example:

When I used to go to meetings, I just showed up with a pen and pad of paper. If I had an idea, great, but if not much was resolved at the meeting, no big deal. But now, I know they are looking for a contribution from me, and so I'm always thinking about what I can offer on the issue at hand. Roles are actually assigned to me above and beyond my standard job description, measurable production is expected of me. And I have to say that this atmosphere is highly motivating for me ... if I know where I want to go within the company ... if I am looking for advancement ... if I want to be "promoted" to a salary-based position and end up working twice as much, resulting in a lower hourly wage (true story - my boss sent me an email at 10:50 pm on Monday night, and now she's traveling on business for the next 3 days). If that is what I have to look forward to, no thank you!

On the other hand, I like being recognized for my efforts. I like it when people are impressed with how I followed through on a situation or prepared myself for the task at hand. So can I have it both ways? Can I clock in and out as an hourly employee but still be highly valued as a top contributor? Well, certainly not in my present position. But any "higher up" position does demand more of my time, my willingness to travel, my ability to work weekends if needed, etc. And because of the "corporate atmosphere," I feel as though if that is not what I'm striving toward, then I'm just ... in the way or something.

Anyway, that bullet point really blew the rest out of the water, huh? ... Guess I just don't know what I want out of a job. I'm happy where I'm at for now, but where does that leave me in the future?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home