Tuesday, March 14, 2006

Tutoring woes

My regular third grade girl wasn't at the tutoring session tonight, so they paired me up with a kindergarten boy. It wasn't good, folks. Not good at all. All I could think was, God bless kindergarten teachers.

We started out fine. Then suddenly he decided he didn't want to talk to me. For about 15 minutes, I asked him questions about sports, offered to play games, gave him options of worksheets, books, and puzzles ... he literally wouldn't say a word to me. Then he spoke realllllllll quietly, and after asking him to repeat himself about 7 times, I finally made out, "I want my other tutor" and "this is boring." When I said that his other tutor wasn't there, the tears started. Tutors and students in the room looked my way. What was I to do? I asked what his other tutor did that I could do to make it more fun, but he wouldn't answer. Finally, he decided we should play Uno Attack, and for the last 10 minutes we took turns pushing the button until cards flew out at us, at which time he said, "If I'm real good can I get a prize?" uh ........ riiiiiiiight, if you play a game really well for 5 minutes after an hour of anguish, I'll reward you. BUT, fearing another onset of tears, I compromised and promised him a sticker if he finished the night well.

After I dropped him off in the gym and he ran away (with a "Far Out" sticker proudly plastered on his T-shirt), I caught his eye across the room and waved good bye so he knew I was leaving. Then he ran over to me with a big smile and gave me a hug. "See you later!" he said happily.

Um ... did I miss something here?

2 Comments:

At 3/17/2006 1:52 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

funny how kids dont remember the hour of anguish, only the fun?

what if we all did that?

 
At 3/18/2006 3:06 PM, Blogger Tory Jane said...

Katy,

Such a great story... I think though that kids appreciate you, but not necessarily all that comes with it (meaning, you are the one reminds them they have work to do and can't play all day). This may sound weird, but I remember when I used to nanny for a couple little girls, and I thought they hated me because they would scream and cry and say mean things. However, I realized when it came time for the things that were important to them - reading a bedtime story, dancing, playing make believe - they totally wanted me to be a part of it.

So, I'm thinking that it more than likely wasn't YOU that he was upset with. I think it was the "doing the homework" part (well, whatever kindergarten homework may look like). And his "see you later!" was only an affirmation that he indeed did not mind having you as his tutor... He just didn't want to work!

Great story though! Thanks for sharing!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home