Tuesday, April 24, 2007

Quotes on Prayer

Sadly, I'm still reading the same book on Prayer that I began months ago. Came across this the other night and it really resonated with me. Yancey says when communicating with God, "Forget past failures, forget recurring sins, forget feelings of inferiority, and instead open your mind to God, who cannot fill what has not been emptied."

--How often do I turn to prayer when there are a million things on my mind, and those things are still there after I say Amen?--

Yancey also quoted Herbert McCabe regarding "distractions" during prayer: "This is nearly always due to praying for something you do not really much want; you just think it would be proper and respectable and "religious" to want it ... And so your prayer is rapidly invaded by distractions arising from what you really do want - promotion at work, say ... When you are praying for what you really want you will not be distracted. People on sinking ships do not complain of distractions during their prayer."

Huh ... Quite interesting, I must say ...

1 Comments:

At 4/25/2007 8:27 AM, Blogger viclyn said...

I am still reading this book too! I like to think I am not lazy, but savoring it...haha

 

Post a Comment

<< Home