Saturday, January 08, 2005

Busy Week!

I've had quite the first week of 2005! Monday night, I declined the opportunity to go to the college-age Bible study from our church even though Jason went to give ministry announcements. Tuesday we played games with some friends at Starbucks. Wednesday was the jr. high youth group and Thursday was the high school one (which I went to this time but might not always go to in the future - I'm sticking with jr. high for the most part). And last night (Friday) we went to the rescheduled staff Christmas party of Jason's. So all those events, in addition to the fact that it was my first week of work in 4 months, made for a long, tiring week. It was a good week, and for once a productive one for me, but a draining one nonetheless.

It's weird how much more restful I am when I'm not working. Not only for the obvious reasons (I can sleep in, take naps, etc. when unemployed) but also because when I have work on the brain, and I don't want to accidentally sleep through the alarm, etc., I tend to wake myself up frequently throughout the night. The past few months, I've slept rather soundly through the night, whereas last week, I woke up at least a few times each night. Also, I used to exercise everyday when I didn't have a job, but this week I didn't take one walk!

The good parts of my job include lots of holidays (it's a county job, so I get Martin Luther King Day and Presidents Day off, for example), the potential for mobility/advancement, and job security b/c it's a union job. The bad parts are monotony, being with the public all the time, and b/c I'm the receptionist, I have to be there right at 8 and stay until 5 on the dot - no sneaking out early or switching lunch hours - I have to be up front whenever the office is open. Still, I'm just happy to be working. After all my posts on the woes of unemployment, I'd better be grateful for what I have :) ... and I am. Plus, I'm able to go home for my sister's baby shower in March without losing a day's pay (they'll let me work until 5:30 and take a 1/2 hour lunch for 2 weeks prior to that Friday). Cool!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home