Monday, April 24, 2006

"Fair"

Lately I've been suffering from a "fairness" complex. For some reason, even though I've heard the phrase "Life's not fair" several times before, my mind can't compute why things in life are so unevenly distributed. Sadly, it doesn't so much stem from seeing all the poverty in the world, the homelessness, disease, death, etc. as it does from recently learning how much money the executives at my company make. It's a rediculously large sum, and I ask myself ... do they deserve it? Do they work harder than me? Will I ever find a break like that?

How sad and selfish am I to ask these questions when I am soooooooooo fortunate in all aspects of my life? I think materialism and pride are sins that totally lurk beneath the surface of most human hearts. I honestly didn't think either of them had much of a hold on me, but lately I've been proving myself wrong. I am completely and totally happy with where I'm at. My life is absolutely wonderful. I don't feel like I'm missing a thing, which I'm sure is more than a lot of millionaires can say ... So why do I feel like it's "unfair" for someone to make millions of dollars, even get paid for attending meetings, when I work hard, attend meetings for free (thank you very much) and do a good job yet make considerably less? I don't know the answer. But I'm reallllly working on not caring! :)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home