Monday, September 04, 2006

Tips for the anti-social shopper

I've been doing a lot of shopping lately for house-related things - no actual purchasing, mind you, just looking around ... Anyway, I don't know if it's because I'm not ready to make a big purchase yet, if it's because there are way too many sales people in the stores over Labor Day Weekend for their special sales, or if it's just because I have some anti-social habits, but there's something about furniture store shopping that bugs me. As soon as I walk into a furniture or appliance store, I seem to get clobbered by salesmen greeting me with a plastered-on smile. Now, I know it's their job to help out, and the more they can help me find, the more money they can potentially make. But sometimes I just want to wear a sign that says, "Really, I'm just looking! You will be wasting your time on me!" I actually made an entire loop around one store and was about to exit when a sales woman came up to me and said, "Welcome to Lazy Boy, can I help you?" I was like ... um, I'm just looking. And then I proceeded to walk out the door! So for those of you out there who have experienced this before, allow me to give you a few simple tips that have eased my shopping woes ... slightly:

1) Avoid making eye contact at all costs, unless you genuinely want a worker to be stuck on you like glue for your remaining time in the store. In my experience, you can't just ask one question and have them leave you alone after you've shown the slightest of interest.
2) Wear raggedy clothes. One salesman looked at me and said hello, then looked at the holes in my jeans, and walked away. He figured I couldn't possibly be serious about buying a large appliance if I couldn't even afford a new pair of pants. (Side note: 3 seconds after this man walked away, another sales person came up to me and asked if he could help me. People, please!)
3) If you see someone approaching, take your keys out of your purse or pocket as if you are about to leave. They'll either not bother at all, or just say good-bye.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home