Monday, September 17, 2007

Jury Duty, take 3

I was on a case for jury duty last week and it was very unsettling for me. I actually thought the guy was guilty, and yet due to "reasonable doubt" we had to find him not guilty. I feel bad for the victims who will never see justice done to the guy who tried to rob them. I feel bad for the defendant who probably thinks he can get away with anything now. But how can you put someone away when it's not black and white? Better to potentially let a guilty man go free than put an innocent man in jail, I suppose. Tough call.

Anyway, the whole jury duty process is pretty interesting and unique. So far, I've been on a jury that found the defendant guilty (for a drug case in California), not guilty (2 robberies in Milwaukee), and a hung jury (a guy robbed a gas station but one juror would not find him guilty while the rest of us were sure he was). There's a lot of sitting around though, and you actually get tired just sitting and listening. Here's hoping I don't get summoned again exactly four years from now, because I'm sure I will with my luck ...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home