Saturday, January 29, 2005

Media

I just saw "Garden State" and I have mixed reviews about it. I liked it overall, but at the same time I was quite disturbed by a few things - like the extreme, casual use of drugs and swears (more so than the average movie I see, anyway). And even when the main characters are at their best and we are supposed to be happy for them, I can't help but think how their lives are so devoid of hope and joy due to their lifestyles and beliefs. And although it's just a movie, it's probably like real life for more people than I'd like to think. You have to wonder which came first, the reality of messed up lives or the portrayal of such on TV ... and now the influence of the two are so intertwined that it's kind of sad (how society lives determines what sells in movies and TV, and what we see in the media influences society's actions). Anyway, after that profound thought ... I'm going to go watch "The Day After Tomorrow" (assuming I don't fall asleep, which I've been doing earlier and earlier in the evening lately :))

Sidenote: I'm really liking 2 songs I keep hearing on the radio, both of which encourage the listener to look inside themselves and see if their life is headed in the direction they want: "This is Your Life" by Switchfoot and "Escape" by Relient K.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home