Monday, May 01, 2006

living my beliefs

I'm not a big fan of random quotes, yet I can't help but share a few excerpts from the book Blue Like Jazz by Donald Miller. They're so simple in theory, yet so hard in practice. They make me remember that life is more than the daily grind and really good dessert, although both have their place :)

"What I believe is not what I say I believe; what I believe is what I do."

"Dying for something is easy because it is associated with glory. Living for something is the hard thing. Living for something extends beyond fashion, glory, or recognition. We live for what we believe."

"If I live what I believe, then I don't believe very many noble things. My life testifies that the first thing I believe is that I am the most important person in the world. My life testifies to this because I care more about my food and shelter and happiness than about anybody else. I am learning to believe better things ... I am learning not to be passionate about empty things, but to cultivate passion for justice, grace, truth, and communicate the idea that Jesus likes people and even loves them."

If you want to read these quotes in their context, I highly recommend picking up the book. I'm only halfway through, but it's a genuinely interesting and enjoyable read.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home