Saturday, August 13, 2005

Moving on

Despite our recent "misfortune," I am still very grateful for our Californian experience. I can look back and honestly say that I think it's brought me and Jason closer. We've had to start fresh in all areas of our lives: meet new friends, attend a new church, create a home out of our apartment, discover new restaurants, stores, getaway spots and other locales together and more .... and all these new experiences we shared together without family or long-time friends to rely on (except over the phone :)) And I believe that's made us stronger. But for many reasons, we've decided that this chapter in our lives is just about over. My in-laws are flying in next month to help us "pack up and ship out." Two 4-day trips in the course of a year, can you believe it? My poor car!

Things I will miss about California:

-Making U-Turns freely, even at stoplights
-Being able to go for outdoor walks year-round
-Wearing flip-flops to any occasion, anytime
-The beautiful mountains in the distance -- living here gave new meaning to the lyrics "for purple mountain majesties" ... when the sun hits them a certain way, it's amazing.
-Driving along the coast
-Year-round, weekly fruit markets (even though we didn't go all that often, it was still nice to know they were there!)
-Living so close to L.A. (again, didn't go all that often, but took advantage of some neat attractions on occasion)
-Getting a Spanish education without paying for a class (ha! kidding! that I will NOT miss!)

Things I DO miss about Wisconsin:

-Panera Bread
-Boston Market
-Culver's
-Dairy Queen
{hmmm, eat much?}
-Pick 'n Save (it's hard to find a one-stop grocery store around here that's affordable AND pleasant to shop at)
-Kohl's (even though I'm too fat to fit into their Junior's and too young to wear the elastic-band "Misses" clothes, I still love shopping there)
-Paying rent that's less than $800 ... or $900 ... or heck, even $1,000!
-The people, of COURSE!

I'm sure there's a lot more on both lists, but I'll stop there for now. I have yet to give my notice at work. Hopefully I'll muster up the courage and find the time to do it on Monday. Although I'm not sad to leave my job, it's never easy telling your employer that you have to quit! I even remember being nervous when I quit my 3-week long college job at the on-campus Blimpie's sub shop! Sad :(

2 Comments:

At 8/14/2005 10:02 AM, Blogger Tory Jane said...

YAY! I'm sad for your misfortune too, but I'm excited for my goodluck in your moving back here! I miss you a lot and it will be AWESOME to have you closer!
Let me know what all the details are! I'll email you!

 
At 8/14/2005 10:53 AM, Blogger viclyn said...

We wanted to let you and Jason know that most of your list that you miss about Wisconsin can also be found in Central Illinois! We'll be glad to see you soon!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home